1. Where was the Student Lounge?
BEHIND THE NINE BUILDING NEAR THE ATHLETIC FIELDS….YES THEY ACTUALLY TRUSTED US WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.. (WERE THEY NUTS, OR WHAT?)
2. Name 5 national bands that played at Staples
CREAM, DOORS, YARDBIRDS, ANIMALS, RASCALS, LEFT BANK, SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE… click for full list of bands
3. Name the band that played the Soc Hop
SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE (I WAS RECENTLY TOLD THEY TREID TO GET OUT OF IT BECAUSE THEY JUST HAD THEIR SINGLE HIT NUMBER ONE NATIONALLY)
4. Who was the drummer of Cream and what did he do that almost caused pandemonium? (no googling) (I bet members of Smoke know this one)
GINGER BAKER REALLY JAMMED IN A 20 MINUTE SOLO THAT BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN
5. Name 5 couples who were classmates (or different years) who married each other? ALICIA ZLOE AND SCOTT SCHERER, VICKI NEGRIN AND BOB SLOAT, RANDY BERLER AND LINDA WEIL, CHRIS PODSADLO AND MIKE HELBIG, MARK SMOLLIN AND MARTHA BORDERS AND ANDY AND MARY GAI, DAWN KAUFMAN AND SCOTT WALLANT.. AND THERE ARE MORE, PATTY ROGERS AND MARK SUDA, STEVE BAUMANN AND KAREN APPY, FRANK BARROW AND CAROL CHRISTOPHER, CHARLES BOISSEAU AND JANICE HANNERT (soon), GARY BELMONT AND KATHY LITTIN… ARE THERE MORE??
6.What was the name of the Vice Principal at Staples?
I STILL HAVE NO IDEA BECAUSE IN THE YEARBOOK HE WASN’T IDENTIFIED BUT IT WAS PROBABALY MR. THOMSON OR MR. MATHESON, OR MR. HALL, OR MR. BERGER
7. What was the name of the principal’s secretary?
She was short and stocky with an accent and the mother of a classmate
ELLY BOCK STILL LIVES IN TOWN, HER DAUGHTER MARY ANN LIVES IN VERMONT
8. What did work study allow you to do and for how long?
YOU COULD LEAVE CAMPUS FOR A HALF DAY OR AN ENTIRE DAY TO PURSUE A CAREER DURING YOUR SCHOOL DAY. DONNA BELTA BECAME BOTH AN L P N AND A HAIRDRESSER
9. What unusual item did someone build at wood shop? (extra point if you can name the student)
DON KOWALSKY MADE A COFFIN
10. Who was Grub?
HIS NAME IS KENNY AND "GRUB" WAS HIS NICKNAME - THE GRUBBY, ROTUND, OLD GUY WITH 5 TEETH WHO OWNED THAT STORE NEAR OLD MILL BEACH THAT IS ELVIRA’S NOW.
11. What was the name of the town drunk?
12. What was the name of the first selectman who was also the parent of a classmate?
JACKIE HENEAGE, BETH’S MOM.
13. Where and what was the Crest?
GREASER HANGOUT. IT WAS STILL THERE WHEN WE WERE IN HS BUT IT DIDN’T HAVE THE PATRONAGE LIKE IT HAD BEFORE
14. What was the name of the guy who had the concession at the beach and name the condiment that you could always eat if you were too broke to actually buy food…
CHUBBY LANES AND YOU COULD ALWAYS EAT THE SAUTEED ONIONS
THEY WERE GREAT JUST ALONE
15. Without looking at your yearbook, what was the name of at least 2 plays the Players did?
SOLDIER, SOLDIER (an original play debuted at Staples) and CHARLIE’S AUNT
16. Who was the head of the Art Department
17. What was Carl Decker’s hobby and now his profession after retirement?
HE WAS INTO PHOTOGRAPHY AND PRETTY GOOD WHILE WE WERE IN HS.. I SAW A SHOW OF HIS AT THE LIBRARY, IT WAS REALLY INCREDIBLE
18 Name all seven of the elementary schools Westport had…
COLEYTOWN, BEDFORD, SAUGATUCK, GREENS FARMS, BURR FARMS, HILLSPOINT, ASSUMPTION, ST LUKE KINGS HIGHWAY - AND - WESTON… that’s 8!! NOW THERE ARE ONLY THREE ELEMENTARY, TWO MIDDLE AND A 9-12 HIGH SCHOOL AT STAPLES
19.What unusual thing happened at Coleytown Jr. when Bedford Jr was getting renovated?
COLEYTOWN HAD DOUBLE SESSIONS. BOTH SCHOOLS ATTENDED CLASS THERE EACH DAY BUT THE KIDS FROM DIFFERENT SCHOOLS NEVER SAW EACH OTHER. SCHOOL GOT OUT A 5:30.
20.What happened to Paul Emmet? (he won most likely to succeed and emceed every event at school.. wait a minute..did he grow up to be Alex Trebec or Chuck Woolery?)
SERIOUSLY, HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM HIM?
21.What was fun about Bayberry Lane?
THE BUMP THAT WAS SO BAD, EACH CAR WENT AIRBORNE
22.What Rumors did you hear about Mr. Weiss, the driver’s ed teacher?
I HEARD HE HAD FAKE SHOULDER, THAT HE WORE MAKEUP AND THERE’S GOT TO BE MORE
23.What love bird teachers eventually married each other?
MR HARRISON AND THAT GYM TEACHER, MARY ANN SOMETHING… NOW KNOWN AS MARY ANN HARRISON
24.What was your Junior year research paper about?
MINE WAS ON THE MUMMIFICATION OF PEOPLE IN EYGPT
25. What monumental thing happened to the staples girls ?
(having nothing to do with sex or puberty)
WE WERE REVOLUTIONARY WITH OUR NEW DRESS CODE. WE WERE ALLOWED TO WEAR PANTS TO SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME. I DON’T REMEMBER WEARING A SKIRT TOO MANY TIMES AFTER THAT!! AND ALL THE REST OF THE SCHOOLS EVERYWHERE CHANGED THEIR DRESS CODES TOO.
26. Why did Staples make front page news in the NY Times when we were there?
WE HAD A DRUG PROBLEM JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TOWN AT THE TIME BUT WE GOT FOUND OUT FIRST
27. What was SSTS?
STAPLES STAGE AND TECHNICAL STAFF.. THE PEOPLE WHO WERE ON IT, LOVED IT
28. Who was our class president and vice president and who ran against him/her?
(I bet Mike Rea knows)
29. What was the favorite card game played in the student lounge?
(was there really no faculty supervision?? were they nuts or what???)
MY FAVORITE WAS POKER - BUT JOHN KYLE PLAYED SOMETHING ELSE!
30. Who was Fuzzy? (nice guy by the way)
FUZZY WAS FROM THE CLASS OF 69 AND WAS A VOLUNTEER FIREMAN WHILE STILL IN HS. HE WENT ON TO HAVE AN GREAT CAREER KEEPING KIDS IN LINE AT STAPLES AS THE SECURITY GUARD AND DID A HECK OF A JOB. HE EVEN KEPT THE PARENTS IN LINE.
31. Where did you buy beer on a Sunday and what was your personal driving record there and back?
VISTA AND PORTCHESTER…. YOU COULD MAKE A ROUND TRIP IN AN HOUR, EASY
32.What was the "cool" place to buy clothing on Main Street in the late 60's?
(Think bell-bottoms) SELECTIVE EYE.. (I SAW THE SIGN FROM THE STORE AT AN ANTIQUE DEALER YEARS LATER AND DIDN’T BUY IT!)
33.What was the name of the restaurant where Burger King is now?
CARROLLS HAD THE BEST FRENCH FRIES ON EARTH
34.How much were Carvel Ice Cream Cones when we were in HS?
25 CENTS FOR A LARGE, 15 FOR A SMALL
35.What was the name of the Store in the back of the Ice Cream Parlor?
THE LIVERPOOL SHOP